Skip to main content

Chicago- The Initiation

Hi Guys!

I recently had my first work trip out to Chicago! Of course I did have some work things to do, but we did have a decent amount of time to explore and do some touristy things.

Day 1

This trip I got to go out there with one of my teammates which was fun. We did some of things we felt you HAVE to do when you are in Chi Town. 

Obviously the first thing we did after getting checked into our hotel was go find pizza! We went to Lou Malanati's and got these cute personal pizzas. 
This was a butter crust filled with cheese, a layer of sausage and a layer of sauce!
I'm partial to pizza from my area of the country (NY, NJ).  But for me you can't ever go wrong with extra carbs and cheese!

After pizza we went to Cloud Gate, aka The Bean! I loved how the whole park was Chicago's version of Rockefeller Center.  There was an ice skating rink, and a big pine tree decorated with lights!


Our last stop for the day was the top of the John Hancock building.  The Sky Lounge on the 96th floor to be exact!  Up here the views were incredible. We drank our martini's and watched the sun set over the city.  This was a great place to end the day! 


I would like to add some details about the elevator experience up there though! The elevator literally has no other stops to select.  It goes straight up from the 1st floor to the 96th and boy can you feel it.  It was a shaky and a noticeably fast ride up.

In fact, we found out that just two days after we rode this elevator, it fell 85 stories with people in it!  I feel like the universe was looking out for us, because that could have easily been us! How scary. 

I got to have a nice relaxing night alone before our event the next day. I enjoyed a nice bubbly bath, and watched New Girl before heading to sleep!

Day 2

We woke up to snow, and as much as I hate snow, I enjoyed this because it didst last and it was cliche Chicago cold.

Our event went really well, and we got to enjoy a nice steak lunch with some dessert!  Unfortunately that was cut a little short because it turned out that back home it was also snowing.  Only this snow was not stopping and it cancelled our flight home! We scrambled to find a new hotel and a new flight out the next morning.

The good news was that we were still in the heart of Chicago when the flight cancelled, instead of already at the airport. We checked into our new hotel and came to find that it was across the street from a Nordstom.  So we did what any girls stranded in another state would do...Shopped!

I have been low key looking for a nice leather jacket this winter, and I actually found the exact style I had been looking for. It was one sale, and the only one left.  I bought it. And I have probably worn it every day since.

I ran out of space in my luggage so I actually had to wear this underneath my big winter jacket for the flights home. It made everything a little more annoying, but totally worth it. :p

After shopping, we ended our night at the Sugar Factory to get a smokey peach drink, and some french fries.


 

Day 3

We are FINALLY on our way home.

So a day later than scheduled we are finally boarding out flight.  We make it up to the plane door, and the flight attendant tells us there's no more room for bags, and we have to check ours. We have to walk back out, get a tag and bring the bag to one of the guys who checks the bags.  Not a great start.

As soon as we have taxied out the pilot comes on to tell us that our connecting flight in Boston is having issues with their runways and we have to delay at least an hour.  By this point I'm convinced we will miss the next flight and will never get home.  Dramatic I know.  

When we finally arrive in Boston we are running to find food and make sure we get on our next flight.  THANKFULLY (and also not), this flight was also delayed. By this point it was just laughable.  But we had spent the whole day traveling and I was SPENT.

Of course we did make it home that night! However we found it to be funny how my first trip had so many hiccups along the way like an initiation.Everyone on my team later told me that's not usually what happens on these trips, so hopefully that's all out of the way! :p

Overall I really enjoyed my first work trip despite all the difficulties.  I have always wanted to go to Chicago, and I will definitely be back for a longer trip soon! 

Have you ever been to Chicago?  What's you're favorite touristy thing to do?






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I got where I got!

So I haven't quite come up with a blog schedule or anything yet.  I figured I would get all the introduction type things out of them way first and go from there. Who knows. My life schedule may only allow me to be totally random. I guess we will just see how it goes!  Anyway last time I mentioned talking about iifym. So now I'm gonna get into my experiences with it ! Let me just start by saying, I am in no way qualified to direct anyone in nutrition. So I'm giving my experiences through what I have learned. It has been a process and taken a long time. I am also always open to suggestions and a good dialogue. I just have a passion for food and fitness and want to talk about it! I can't help it. I'm sure you understand 😋 So let's begin! I started "eating better" when I had just graduated college. I was 21 years old. I had put on A LOT of college weight. My idea of better at the time was just things I saw promoted as healthy really. Tried to

A Condo Closet Paradise

Recently we were woken up by what seemed like life just throwing annoying house issues at us. The closet "system", which was really just a long pole stuck into the two ends of the room came crashing down one morning!  I had been saying this was going to happen for days, but it finally happened.  All of our clothes, boxes, and random junk we kept in the closet now sprawled all over the floor. WHAT A WAY TO WAKE UP...am I right?!  See, with me recently moving in with Scott (my boyfriend of 4 years 😋), came a lot more stuff that the closet wasn't equipped to handle apparently! I was "slowly" moving bags of clothes and hanging them up without Scott knowing. (I did it when he wasn't home... shhh....).  But because the closet was being used by a man who has far less clothes, and really only likes maybe 4 t-shirts it became very noticeable it was an issue. But we just continued living hoping for the best.   Now to be completely honest, this closet need

Operation Brunch- Theme: FALL!

Good Morning! Fall is in the air, and I couldn't be more thrilled! I know that many people would agree that fall is one of the best times during the year.  The crisp air, and the changing colors just really make me happiest. This year is the first year I have a place of my own to decorate, so I am extra excited.  I had pumpkins in our house the first day it was even a little bit chilly! So since I now have a house to host things in, its becoming my favorite season, AND I've been able to decorate for fall, I felt it was appropriate to host a fall themed brunch with my 3 oldest and closest friends! With us all living in different directions and having separate lives it's been a WHILE since the four of us got together.  I'm so happy they all made it out here this weekend.  It was a lovely day of laughing, drinking mimosas and casually annoying Scott while he tried to watch football.  I'm also glad that I now have the opportunity to host casual events with my fr